Spring 2010 Preemptive Planning - Structures

The first day of Spring! is getting closer and closer and closer! Woo Hoo. I need to mainly finalize where I am going to try and grow things and what things I am going to try and grow. I live in a rented house that has a "Yard." A yard mainly covered by trees ... hence the quotations. The technical growing space the owners made is 14x14ft. and I also have a Community Garden plot that is about 10x10ft. I try to do a hell of a lot with that space. We pay to live in this house because it has a yard, its close proximity to the Community Gardens, and because the Library was originally across the street! How could I not want this house based on those things. But, to be honest, we do not rent the house for its updated appliance, wonderful insulation, house placement (orientation), square footage of living space, or yard size. That is why we can't buy the house.

So, I need to decide how many trellises and what style of trellises (including a Tomato ladder?) I need to build, how many cold frame and their size, row covers, hoop houses, and potato boxes (right now 2). Maybe a growlight system.

I have many, many problems esp with the space and what I want to grow and what I want to grow things for. First, I very much enjoy Seed Saving as a matter of fact I include Seed Saving as part of my Harvest. I Companion Plant intensively! This includes the Vegetables, Flowers, and Herbs. Then there is the hope of Crop Rotation (crazy right?). Next is for Food Storage, including Fermentation, Pickling, Drying, Freezing, Canning, and "Root Cellaring" along with the slight hope of a continual harvest through Winter buy means of growing the proper vegetables and varieties in a cold frame.

Lots to think about, manage, and research. So, so excited. Then you remember the bugs and diseases. Diseases are one reason I am going to space my Tomatoes 4 ft from one another. Even though I have way more varieties of Tomatoes I want to grow than space for them! Heaven forbid I decide to try and make my own ketchup!

Oh! And I have lots of "Decorations" I want to try and make for our Gardens. This includes Prayer Flags, Wood cut out Mushrooms, maybe some crafted Fairies, and glass bead ornaments. Sounds like someone needs to take a trip to Menards and probably Lowes along with Hobby Lobby!

0 comments:

Post a Comment