Garden, Bugs, Diseases, & Farmers

Now, I am all about Organic growing. That being said, I have grown things and I grew them Organically. I think some people who are so proud that they eat/can afford Organic and tend to have very strong feelings about buying Organic might not have ever grown anything. First, there is the Corn Earworm. Then, the Cabbage Looper. And the Cutworm. I am not saying that there aren't organic methods of dealing with these nasties, or at least I hope there are. I am saying they are gross. I don't want to eat them, their eggs, or anything they have touched. That's just bugs, and we aren't even talking about Locust! Then there are the diseases. Eww. Bad, bad things there. They are air borne and soil borne. Insects eat opening the plant making the plant vunerable to these diseases. Some of the diseases live for ages, in the soil. This is one reason Container Gardening is so nice. You can remove the dirt, throw it away, compost it, or heat it in your oven hoping to kill whatever yuckies are still trying to survive. But a farmer doing this? Pfft. Even with my small garden space, I got Septoria Leaf Spot last year. I think I should grow Tomatoes 5 miles! from where I planted them last year. Is this possible for me? No.

All I am asking is don't be hatin farmers. Don't (entirely) be hatin science. There ain't nothing wrong with Hybrids. And Disease Resistance cultivars and Insect Resistence cultivars are good things. There are many Heirloom resistance cultivars. I will be writing about them soon. And several other Gardening topics. Because I can't get it out of my brain!

0 comments:

Post a Comment